Founded by Ralph Schwartzman, we are a real estate development and construction company that has been operating since 1956. Our diverse team is dedicated to forging genuine relationships that have lasting impacts on people and places. As a full-service construction, acquisitions, development, and property management partner, our goal is to deliver the best service possible for our clients. Our company culture is defined by four core values: Family, Innovation, Care, and Wisdom. Building and maintaining strong relationships is vital to our success. As a long-standing builder-developer, we are dedicated to putting smiles on faces and fostering connections that make positive impacts on the community.
Reporting to the Director of Construction, as a Preconstruction Coordinator, you will participate in and coordinate Pre-Construction phases of projects including proposals, estimating, budgeting, contract award, distribution of documents, consultant meetings, initial project pre-planning, scheduling, trade tendering, trade contract negotiation, award and execution, setup of initial project procurements and deliverables. You will also work closely with the Construction Superintendent throughout the construction process to deliver the best building and service possible for our clients.
- Produce detailed quantity take-offs for all areas of the estimate as directed, while ensuring the takeoff is organized and well-notated for hand-over to the project team.
- Review documents, project drawings, contracts, reports, and specifications in detail and inform the team about potential issues or conflicts.
- Develop complete estimates on selected projects consisting of project site visits, quantity take-off, pricing, and presentation of the estimate for Management’s review.
- Contact trades and suppliers regarding tender invitations, pricing, addenda and tender/bid closings and prepare detailed tender/bid analysis for each scope of work.
- Prepare and participate in the creation and updating of project budgets, both initial concept budgets using historical unit rates and preliminary budgets using trade inputs.
- Prepare project reports weekly, monthly, and as required to update the stakeholders on the status of the project.
- Maintain, track, and report financial aspects of projects including budgeting and estimating, billing, expenditures, and forecasts effectively, review invoices in detail, and manage labour and material costs according to the project budget and underlying estimate.
- Coordinate procurement process, draft and prepare contracts, and track changes and additions to contractual agreements.
- Manage the submittal process and facilitate timely approval of submittals and materials to ensure on-time delivery to the site.
- Liaise with the project team, clients, consultants and trade contractors/sub-contractors.
- Other priority duties as required at the direction of the Director of Construction.
Who You Are
- A self-starter and proactive individual able to prioritize effectively; works well either independently or in a team.
- A person of integrity, accountability, teamwork, and innovation who’s committed to growth.
- Motivated to find a solution when confronted by a challenge or problem – no matter the size or type.
- A person with a strong sense of urgency as well as management and organizational skills.
- A person with well-developed communication skills, both written and verbal English.
- A coachable person who takes directions well and is receptive and adaptive to feedback and pushback when approaches or timelines change.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive construction experience with a focus on estimating, pre-construction and project management of multi-family residential and commercial projects in Canada.
- Post-secondary education (University Degree or Technology Diploma) in Construction Management, Building Engineering, Estimating, or Civil Engineering.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Excellent knowledge of the Lower Mainland and BC construction industry
- A commitment to our methodologies and procedures is a foundational element for all roles.
- Strong technical skills and computer proficiency in Procore or Autodesk Build, Building-Connected, MS Project, MS Office (Outlook, Word and PowerPoint) and strong skills in Excel.
- Travel to job sites may require as needed.
- Strong local references.
Our Commitment to You
- Competitive salary, vacation allowance plus potential performance bonus
- A fun and inclusive culture supported by all employees.
- A comprehensive extensive health and dental benefit program
- Professional development support in the construction industry
- Getting together for company-wide social events
- A Lifestyle Spending Account which includes coverage for fitness, daycare, and eldercare costs.
- Employee referral program
- And more!
At Cape, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals, regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status or any other identifying characteristic are encouraged to apply.
Are You Interested?
We regularly invite candidates to interview, so please apply today.Apply Now